Thursday, March 01, 2007

A More Detailed Update on Recent Events in the Life of Tanya

General Health
Been to the doctor this morning. My shoulder, apparently, is not what is causing me the excrutiating agony that I have been living with. The doctor seems to think that the problem stems from my neck and has ordered a course of physio and an x-ray, just to check that no vertebrae are squishing things and that things are generally in order. I get zapped by radiation tomorrow morning. Which is very quick for the NHS, really. She thinks I may have a trapped nerve or something. As long as they can fix it with a minimal amount of drugs, I am fine with it. Having said that, though, I did ask her for a refill of the mega-supa-dupa painkilling medicine she prescribed for me in October.

I avoid allopathic medicine as much as possible, preferring herbal remedies and alternative treatments. Sometimes, when I need it, it's nice to know that I can take the magic bullet, even though I know it's just treating a symptom and not the cause. I can't afford to see my Medicine Man, nor can I afford the treatments such as shiatsu or acupuncture, which I feel would be the most helpful for this. So I am at the mercy of the NHS and I am grateful for their physio and chemicals.

Creative Writing Workshop
I am having so much fun teaching people! I love seeing people grasping the ideas, seeing the light go on in their eyes as they start to make sense of it all. Most of all, I love that they feel inspired to be more creative. The more I do this, the more I feel I was born to do this. That this is my perfect job. The job that isn't WORK. The job that I would happily do for free because I love it that much. Can I really make a living doing nothing but teaching creative writing? Really? How?

Last night, none of the men in the class showed up and it was just the ladies. Completely different vibe. I noticed that the women seemed a lot freer and expressive without the men around. Interesting.

Driving home, I had several ideas pop into my head. One day workshops. Weekend workshops. Retreats. And the ideas began to scare me because the more I thought about them, the BIGGER they got. And the self doubt crept in. And you know what I decided? I decided that the self doubt can be consigned to the category of bullshit. And we all know how I feel about bullshit. So.

Here are all these ideas. And I have no qualifications other than my experience and my instincts. Sounds like a recipe for adventure!

3 comments:

  1. I'm SO EXCITED to hear about your creative workshops, and how creative you're becoming from hosting them! (see, and it's when you're driving, not watching TV, that these fab ideas happen... )
    Keep going, I think your ideas are fab, and I think they'll be as constructive for you as they are for your clients - even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry: This could be the start of something, but I am not sure... Time will tell. Waiting till 8 March before I put any plans into action. Mercury is retrograde just now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tanya, how exciting for you! To find your place is such an amazing event. I believe you can do it, and make it just as big as you need it to be. Go for it, girl.

    Oh shit. I forgot about Mercury... I just dropped a rather large bomb on my spouse, and I'm not especially keen on anything going awry... anymore than they already have.

    Ah well, I'll deal with what comes.


    You're lovely and amazing, Tanya. If you've found what you want to do, don't let the inertia of life talk you out of doing what you want to do. You're bright and adventurous - go for it!

    ReplyDelete