Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Arse. Bollocking Arse.

I have just come back from seeing the boiler man. Turns out it's not our boiler that's the problem. We have run out of oil. Neither of us spotted that the level had gone right down. WHY? Because the level was still above the 200 litre mark whenever we checked. So Andy, the boiler man, showed me this afternoon that if you let out a little valve, it gives you a true reading of the oil level. Which is nice that he did that because no one has shown us that in the 4 years we have lived there.

So, now, I have to fill the tank with oil. Then Andy has to come back and bleed the radiators. Once he has done that, he says, "Hopefully the boiler will fire up first time." And, there will be 2 call out charges to pay - today's and the next visit.

What idiots we are. I feel so stupid. And angry at myself for not knowing about the valve. And angry at the landlord for not telling us about the valve.

Fuck knows how much this is going to cost us. Landlord definitely won't pay because it is, after all, our fault. SO... no heating for at least a week. Oil people are coming Thursday or Friday so we'll have to get the boiler man in after that.

3,000 realms in a single moment. I can change my state. Breathe in, breathe out. Stay positive.

This has to end at some point, surely....

EDIT: Almost forgot. I am meant to get new lenses for my glasses this month. Stronger ones. Um. Between washing machine and this... I have no fucking clue how I am supposed to get this sorted. Maybe if I have £30 left at the end of this month, I can try to budget the other £40 from next month and there you go: glasses! The nasty lady at SpecSavers won't be very happy about it, but fuck her, the unsmiling automaton cow. Hoorah!

ANOTHER EDIT: AND!! The fact that this is happening means I am practicing Buddhism correctly. How fabulous is that!? Magnificent. Bring it on you bastard Sansho Shima. I'm ready for you.

T'ien-t'ai (538-597) states in Great Concentration and Insight: "As practice progresses and understanding grows, the three obstacles and four devils emerge in confusing form, vying with one another to interfere... . One should be neither influenced nor fright-ened by them. If one falls under their influence, one will be led into the paths of evil. If one is frightened by them, one will be prevented from practicing the correct teaching."

10 comments:

  1. Maybe I should point out that you should be feeling calm since I am the one that will be paying for the oil and the stupid rip-ass boiler repair man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe - this is OUR problem. We're a team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh, hope I'm not interrupting...

    Um, I'm confused. Boilers with oil to heat your house? As a North American non-home owner you've lost me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm lost on the heating issues too. Sorry about your issues, I've been told trouble builds character...

    But yay seeing the good stuff throught the bad. :) ( I read this and the last post as one, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once paid someone $100 to remove an ant from the switch for my well pump.

    Don't feel so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. girlfriend, it's time to get yo' ass on home to a place where we don't need dodgy boiler type things...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen: I don't understand it either. I am foreign too.

    Kat: Takes a little effort sometimes, but yeah, it does build character. And all the shit has brought Kate and I closer so that's a really nice thing to focus on.

    Diesel: for an ant? Sheesh! That's one expensive ant.

    Kerry: dear me. indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stay positive, m'dear, and look for that silver lining... At least this is happening in mid-March, at a time of relative mild weather. Imagine if it had happened in January. I know I wouldn't be happy about that (nor would Cat, who loves to sleep right by the hot rad).

    And now you know about the stoopid valve and you can check it yourself in the future and send Andy the boiler man packing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red: Indeed. I see the positives and I am deeply grateful for the blessings. Thanks for your encouragement. I am indeed staying positive and so is the lovely Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grr. That sucks arse. It's so annoying when you really want it to be someone else's fault and it turns out it was your own (even though you had no way of preventing it). Grr again.

    ReplyDelete