Thursday, March 15, 2007

My Spider Senses Be Tingling, (and a few other things...)

I took an instant dislike to the Cowboy who came to assess our heating situation. My spider senses definitely were activated. He spent 5 minutes with me, tapped on our oil tank and came inside with me and took a cursory look at our boiler. All the while, he mentioned (and I counted it) that I would have to pay his call out fee for this no more than ten minute visit 7 times. He then proceeded to try to engage me in conversation about South Africa. I was not interested in paying for the privelege of his lacklustre conversation and told him I had to head off to work. The Cowboy's call out fees, it transpires, is £60. His fees for the next visit would be £60 call out plus £60 to do the work. Can anyone out there say RIP OFF? I knew you could. So my boss recommended a nice little old man who did a good job for him last year. And the old man lives in my village. His charge? £30 for the work and if it takes him longer than an hour, then, "I am sorry, dear, but I would have to charge a little extra." Cowboy or Old Boy? As if I have to decide. The Old Boy is coming on Tuesday morning. I am looking forward to telling the Cowboy that I think he's a rip off. And that's bullshit.

Now Here's An Idea...

Remember how we all got up nice and early in October to take sunrise photos for when the clocks went back? How about we all take a sunset picture on Sunday 25 March for the clocks going forward? To round the whole winter thing off? No? Well, I plan to do that because it makes sense to my strange little brain. All those wanting to join me, leave a comment so I know who to watch out for on the 25th. Even if you guys in SA don't do the clock thing, why not join in and put a sunset pic up on the 25th anyway to mark the passage of the seasons? Let me know if you're in!

I Teach.

Feels like I have bitten off more than I can comfortably chew, but not so much that I can't just chomp down for a few bites and be ok. My students are really pushing for an advanced course. So. I have to force myself out of my comfort zone and make this happen. Abracadabra. I. Am. Scared. Shitless. This is what I really want to do, and I am so excited, so why the hell am I so afraid? Ah yes. The fucking Devil King of the 6th Heaven trying to sell me his bullshit. Right. I have to work quickly on this and develop my proposal and send it off and if nothing happens, source a venue and decide on a reasonable fee. I have to fight back these negative self doubting feelings. And there's a little voice going, "You're just a big fat fake" that needs to be silenced. So the goal is to have something in place by 30 March. If not, then at least a lead onto something. I would probably insist on taking a 2 week break before starting in on the course stuff again. I should have something up and running by mid April.

I Write

Did I mention that the local magazine has accepted my idea of the article? Well, they want photos as well and I would need to get all of this organised before and on their desks by Mid April as well. There are a couple of short stories I am sending out as well and this year, I am going to be brave and enter a couple of competitions. Go me! I have also, as some may already know, started writing my novel. Hoorah! Take that Devil bloody King of the 6th Heaven.

12 comments:

  1. Well it seems that, unlike Caesar, the Ides of March are a good time for you! A new repair guy at half the cost (and much more considerate), a whole lotta interest in the advanced writing course (woo hoo!), and now writing for a magazine. I'm just so happy for you sweetie! Excellent...Karma loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for the Sunrise, sure why not. Although for some idiotic reason, North America decided to spring forward three weeks earlier than everyone else... Guess this means that I'll have to figure out when sunrise is that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that little voice that needs to be silenced?

    I was reading this woman's mag the other day and there was a pearl of wisdom from Dr Phil of Oprah fame, saying something like, The person that talks to you more than anybody else, incessantly, is yourself. We talk to and criticise ourselves in ways that we would never accept from anybody else.

    And while I am no great fan of Dr Phil, I thought that was very concisely put, and so true. If anybody said to me, "After 20 years in England your English still ain't all that", I would be affronted. Yet, I take that kind of shit every day from my inner voice.

    Let's silence these ugly inner voices together! Let's shut the bastards up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen: Indeed. The Ides aren't bad for me. I dig the Ides. Wasn't good for ole Julius, though. Poor bloke.

    Karen Again: I am photographing sunset, so actually that should be Sat the 24th, shouldn't it? Then Sunrise as well, I suppose.

    Red: Thanks for reminding me. And another thing about that negative little voice: It LIES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl!

    I'm keen to take a sunset piccie - please just remind me nearer the time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in the U.S., we've been rising an hour earlier for a week now. I'm against it.

    Good call on the spidey-sense. I always listen to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spider sense is always good. Anyone who keeps banging on about their charge rather than the job that needs doing knows full well they are screwing you. Go with the nice old guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and yes, hopefully I will be able to do the sundown/sun-up thing again too, all being well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *: I am indeed going with the nice old guy. He has come recommended by the boss man

    * Again: Hoooorray!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, had a blonde moment.

    We already moved our clocks back. Wonder what time the sun sets around here anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kat: You going to join in with the photographing of the sunset/sunrise?

    ReplyDelete