Tuesday, March 06, 2007

On the Subject of Books

I have, as you may remember, set myself a goal to read 10 books this year. I have finished two so far. (You'll see which they are on the little Library Thing panel on the right). They've both been quite deep and philosophical, so I am looking forward to a light and easy read that's not going to make me think too much. I have also promised myself that at least 4 of those 10 books would be from my existing collection. Thing is I have no novels. No light reads.

Thank goodness for libraries! I will be able to head out there on Friday evening and have a nose around for anything interesting.

I have the following books on my reading list for this year:


The Secret

Watermelon Sugar

Speed Tribes

The Lotus Sutra

That's 6 books out of the ten accounted for then. Anyone out there want to recommend some really good novels? Easy read to balance the not so easy read?

8 comments:

  1. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult - be prepared to cry though.
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver - ditto
    Anything by Marian Keyes, but particularly Rachel's Holiday, Watermelon or The Other Side of the Story
    Any of the Harry Potters, but you need to read them in sequence.
    Any of the Artemis Fowl books, ditto
    Try reading the Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis for fun, and to see just how a children's story can be used for suble indoctrination

    Will post more when I'm at home in reach of my bookshelf...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relatively 'light', until it gets very sad - but also very compelling and excellent - The Time Traveler's Wife.

    I also enjoy Augusten Burroughs - Running with Scissors might be just your thing - and it's very light, quick reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry: I've read the Chronicles of Narnia several times. Maybe I am due for another reading. I avoid Marian Keyes. I read Rachel's Holiday and Watermelon, but I don't read her anymore because an ex-lover had told me how she had met Marian Keyes and how she herself had been the inspiration for the Rachel in Rachel's Holiday. I know that's silly.

    Dori: Thanks for the tips. You suggested the Time Traveller's Wife before. I'll see what I can get out the library on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read novels either, but if you fancy something that's easy to read and fun, you could do a lot worse than Bill Bryson.

    I'm currently reading The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, and while it's not as good as his travelogs, it's still difficult to go more than about ten pages without pissing yourself laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other books that are kind of kids books but that are also grown up books are the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman - Northern Lights, The Amber Spyglass and The Subtle Knife

    I also rate Salman Rushdie, esp The Moor's Last Sigh and Midnight's Chldren

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could always grab a copy of Don Quixote to read with some of us :) A bit long but hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red: Thanks for the Tip.

    Kerry: Not sure about Rushdie. Started reading The Satanic Verses, got bored and left it.

    Karen: Thanks, but... not quite my scene. Good luck, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love books. I indulged for Christmas,and ended up with nearly 30 new books. Love it!

    One of my favorites is "Like Water For Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel. It's a quick read, anyway.

    I've read 'Running With Scissors'. I'm not sure what to say about it.

    I like Carol Higgins Clark for a bit of light mystery, intrigue, and a touch of humor.

    ReplyDelete