Tuesday, March 13, 2007


It's Enough to Make Me Want to Stick My Face In Cake
Did someone break a mirror or something?
This started about seven years ago, this shitty financial luck. The up-side is that perhaps if a mirror was broken then this should be the last year of bad luck, eh?
We make our own luck, anyway, so it really doesn't matter about the mirror. It's just been a sucky few months. In order of appearance:
1. Car battery needed replacing (£40)
2. I got a stupid speeding fine (£60 and 3 points on my license)
3. I had to pay for a hotel room I forgot to cancel (£65)
4. Lost my wedding ring (£44 - not yet replaced)
5. Destroyed the new fancy computer monitor (£200 - not yet replaced)
6. Dad died (no price you can put on the best dad in the world)
7. I borrowed £2,000 from my Dad's estate for the plane tickets, which I must pay back
8. The washing machine broke (£260)
9. Last night, our heating packed up (Hopefully landlord will fork out for this and not put our rent up)
But am I getting down about this? No. I am comfort eating instead.(Which is where the reference to sticking my face into a slab of cake comes from) And chanting. I feel remarkably calm. Maybe also because this year has also begun with a few really good things thrown into the mix. It helps, as well, that I feel more positive and determined than I did towards the end of last year.
These are the positives:
1. My creative writing classes are going so well that my students have asked if we could extend the course or if I could create an advanced course (!!!). I am working on this. All proceeds will be sent to my sister to pay for plane tickets.
2. I have been brave and approached a lady who does shiatsu massage on horses for an interview. A bit arse about face because I hadn't contacted the magazine and pitched the article first. BUT! I pitched the article, the mag wants the story (just 600 words with photos). Deadline: 30 April. Again, all proceeds to my sister.
3. I interviewed for a part time job at Barnsdale Gardens in their coffee shop. If I get it, I will work 7 days a week (day job and weekend job), but if I manage to do this, it means I can pay my sister all I owe within 4 months. I find out in a week.
4. I am now an official member of the Tarot Association of the British Isles.
5. Kate and I are really happy and strong. We had some beautiful, positive discussions while we were in South Africa and if anything, all that's happened has brought us closer together.
6. I am living each day with gratitude
7. Buddhism and Yoga are making me really strong
8. I have amazing friends - blog friends, real friends, furry friends. THANK YOU.
9. I have my face in a slab of cake.

12 comments:

  1. That picture really is my. On my first birthday, with my face in cake. Not much has changed in 32 years. Even that table cloth is still in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... cake. Despite the rough start, pet, things do seem to be on the up. (Hope I haven't jinxed you now!) Having a positive attitude is hugely important, despite how bloody difficult that can sometimes be. Hope you get the job, even if it means the money goes in one hand and out the other. At least it'll make a dent in your debts, and once those are reimbursed, you'll have some cash to play with. Yippee! Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with *A, mmmmm...cake. Look at your lists sweetie. With the exception of your father's passing, your list of positives greatly outweighs the negatives. And while the money situation seems a bit daunting, it will eventually go away. Your relationship with Kate, the joy of your class, and a face full of flour, eggs, and icing are much more important! :-) I too hope you get the job. And, as always, I'm getting myself a ticket for the big $18million draw this weekend. If I win (fingers crossed), you're one of the first people on my list!

    And I had to do a double take with that photo, I could have sworn that was me! Exact same red curly hair I had as a child. Although I don't remember having a face full of cake though (damn).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, and since starting walking again (now that the weather's improved), I've noticed a BIG difference in how I feel - emotionally and physically. Keep up the yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  5. * - Thanks for your support! and I agree: Yippeeee! I like the pic too.

    Karen: the hair is actually black. it just came out red on the scanner. Hooray for feeling balanced and good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've inspired me to share my fave baby pic of myself - see http://blogthesprog.blogspot.com

    ;>

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dori - THANKS. I suggest everyone go look at that pic and comment. It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that the job situation is looking up. Why, it was only a few weeks ago that you were considering becoming a lady of the night!

    Losing your Dad was the duffest note with which to start 2007, make no mistake. But I do hope the rest of the year will continue on an onwards and upwards path. And in the words of Ingrid Bergman in Indiscreet: When love is right, everything's right. I might not necessarily agree 100 per cent (we still have to deal with losing loved ones, work-related stresses and all that), but there's a lot of truth in it. Especially when you're dating Cary Grant... ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darlin', all things considered, I agree with Karen - apart from losing your dad, things are really looking up. The good things far outweigh the bad things, and you've got all sorts of things in place to sort out the financial issues. It will take time, but you're getting there!

    I'm SO chuffed that you're so sunny, positive, happy, chilled, excited, happy, optimistic - so many great things!!!

    YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AND.... I chanted this morning and promised that no matter what, I would be truly grateful for everything that happens in my day and for everything I have in my life, good or bad. So. I am deeply grateful for all the wonderful stuff I have in my life, and I am also grateful for the bullshit and the crap because without it, I wouldn't be strong and without it I wouldn't be able to see what's really important and what is... well... bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello. Just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your blog every day.

    You have your head screwed on right. Your emotional maturity and "clear-headedness" are inspiring.

    Selfishly, I miss you girls and wish you were closer geographically.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We miss you too, tim. And thanks for the compliment. But the clear headedness comes only after a struggle with the devils.

    ReplyDelete