Sunday, December 31, 2006


Dude Looks Like a Lady!

Why is it with society that transvestites and transexuals are not only laughed at, but often subject to violence? I've spoken with people who shook their heads in disgust when I revealed that I have a transgender friend. "It's not right. God made you a man and you must stay a man."

Really. Have any of these people sat down and spoken to a transgendered person to understand what is happening in them? I would gather they haven't.

I didn't understand the desire to change gender until I asked a few questions of a friend who was making the change. She said she had been born into the wrong body. As a young man, she thought that simply dressing in women's clothes would change that, but it didn't. So, after extensive counselling and searching, she began to make the change.

I find it interesting that men who dress as women are treated as perverts and "sick", when women have been dressing in traditionally male attire for years. Clothes are clothes. What the clothes mean is merely an illusion created by society.

At least, that's my opinion. And opinion is just that: opinion; smoke blown into a glass.

Again, I come back to my theory that a lot of the problems regarding acceptance in society relates directly to a resistance to, or lack of, understanding. Churches and other institutions impose ideals on many people, which are followed blindly. Children are taught to hate. As adults we teach our children who and what to hate. Hate comes from fear, and we fear what we do not understand.

Transgendered people are just that: people. Human beings. They're not freaks or circus shows. They are sensitive, feeling, breathing human beings like anyone else. What does it matter that someone changes gender? If the religious argument is the only one that someone can come up with, they don't actually have much of an argument. You can't change your gender because God/Krishna/Buddha/Allah/Goddess/Great Spirit says so?

Bullshit. If religious theory holds true, then spirit has no gender, so what does it matter what gender your body comes in?

My life philosophy is really simple and is based on three things: respect, compassion and understanding. So what if someone prefers wearing a certain style of clothing not traditionally worn by their gender? So what if someone decides to change their gender? Their are bigger things to worry about in this world than whether someone was born with a penis or not.

2 comments:

  1. I had an uncle who had undergone a sex change. I didn't find out until I was in high school (he had married into the family after undergoing the operation). While the revelation was quite shocking it didn't change the way I felt about him at all. It would be a much better world if people wouldn't judge one another, for any reason but the chances of that happening are pretty slim...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, T. I particularly loved "If religious theory holds true, then spirit has no gender, so what does it matter what gender your body comes in?" Quite right.

    I knew a girl who dumped her boyf for being a cross-dresser. He'd kept it secret from her for years and years, then told her. She dumped him. I wonder if things would have been diff is she knew from the get-go. Maybe it was the deception she objected to. Who knows?

    The way I figure, if someone wants to go to all the pain and hassle of changing gender, they must feel pretty fucking strongly about it, so good luck to 'em.

    ReplyDelete