Saturday, December 30, 2006

From Pro-Life to Pro-Choice

When I tell people these days that I was a Pro-Lifer, I get told that it wasn't something that they had expected me to ever be. Not sure why, but I can guess. I've always been a bit of an outspoken person. I don't really mind who knows my opinion, nor do I care if they disagree or wish to distance themselves from me because of it. Opinions are, after all, opinions.

I used to participate in the Pro-Life marches, phone into radio stations, appear in TV debates. I had the obligatory Pro-Life bumper sticker and the little silver feet that I used to clip to my school blazer and then later, my work clothes.

I was about twenty one when I began to enter the twilight zone of my Pro-Life years. The first Marie Stopes clinic had opened around that time in Johannesburg and it was considered to be the most evil of all evils by Pro-Lifers. We were fed information about it, about what went on in there.

Shortly after the clinic opened, a woman who used to be a friend did something very stupid. She had unprotected sex while she was ovulating. The guy was a one night stand. So she asked me what she should do. I found myself telling her about the Marie Stopes clinic and let her know that she had 72 hours to get the morning after pill. All that Pro-Life information feeding had not been for nothing, eh?

Pro-Lifers are not only about anti-abortion. They are also anti-euthanasia

. My singing teacher, Angela, a vibrant, quirky and absolutely beautiful and active human being, was struck with motor neuron disease. Most people with the disease end up immobilised in their beds, unable to communicate, but being fully aware of what's going on around them. I couldn't think of a worse possible fate for Angela. It would be a nightmare from which no one would be able to release her. Seeing her suffer as she did, my ideas on euthanasia began to quickly change. Luckily (and I know it doesn't sound lucky) the disease killed the nerves in her lungs before she reached the completely immobilised stage and she died a few merciful months after the diagnosis.

I began to distance myself quite a bit from the Pro-Life movement when abortion clinics in the US were being bombed and doctors who advocated abortion were being murdered. I thought it was a huge hypocrisy: someone who believes life is so sacred that they campaign against abortion, yet murder innocent human beings. Ever the one to open her mouth and say something, my concerns were met with with a ridiculous response: "Of course we distance ourselves from people who do that. They are fanatics. Still, a dead abortionist is a good abortionist and in a sense they've done us all a favour."

Hmm. And ALL human life is sacred, eh? I didn't want anything to do with a bunch of hypocrites. Mainly because after the advice I gave my friend, I was being a hypocrite by still pursuing the Pro-Life ideals.

After seeing other friends having to make the choice of whether or not to have an abortion, I revised my views.

Today I hold the view that we have a basic right over our bodies. We decide how we treat the bodies we are given and no one has the right to enforce any restrictions on that at all. I support euthanasia and I would like to draw up a living will. If it comes down to it, I don't want to be kept alive by machines and I know that it would be difficult choice for my loved ones to make. So, I choose to make that decision easier for them.

5 comments:

  1. Life has an intriguing way of helping our ideas evolve, if we are open to the Cosmic lessons.

    Thank you for sharing this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been pro-choice, from as early as I was able to have an opinion on the matter. I remember being rather unpopular within my Scout group for it!

    At the same time, I don't think that abortion should be used as a contraceptive method. Women (and men, though I'm not sure I would trust a man to sort things out in that department) have a wonderful range of options these days, and really there is rarely the need to resort to an abortion.

    Having said that, if you're 14, not on the Pill and a "family friend" introduces you to a "game" that you shouldn't share with anybody else because it's going to be "your little secret" and you get pregnant... What choice is there but to have an abortion? Sure, you could have the baby and give it up for adoption -- or keep it, even -- but what way is that to start your adult life?

    I know two people who have interrupted a pregnancy, and neither regrets it in the least. On the contrary, they are relieved and stand by their choice 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crafty: indeed. I am almost the complete opposite of the person I was 10 years ago.

    Red: I agree with you. Ultimately, our bodies are our own to decide what to do with and I also don't think that abortion should be used as a form of birth control either. I know two people who have terminated pregancies. One has absolutely no regrets, the other has found it difficult because she had 2 other children at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have always been pro-choice as well. But i really started to question that while i was in the range of 18-23 years old. It was as Red pointed out, people were using it as a form of birth control.. sio i was starting to think that maybe some kind of inforcement should be levied. Much like people can't go and shoot another or they go to jail.

    It was very difficult for me to maintain that it really is a choice and it it thier body. You can't rule out one's action because you don't agree with it... everyone needs to be the same in that 'area'.

    What makes me qualified to say someones life wouldn't be worse offf.. and the childs life, just because something could have been provented. It's hypocritical and i can't do that.

    Bt i still don't think that abortion should be used that way, and found myself in a ver comprimising sittuation once because of that (regarding a friend who was dating a family member).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just hate the way (and sorry for quoting the Manics, but it's true) pro-life equals anti-choice.

    Y'know, it's not like pro-choice equals anti-babies. It means pro having an informed choice.

    Good job, girl.

    ReplyDelete