Friday, December 08, 2006

LIST: Books Read in 2006

I set myself a goal this year to read 5 books by December. Now it's December and I have read 6 books. Last year the goal was to read 12 books, but I read 24. I didn't want to try and top that, and knowing I would be studying this year, I lowered the bar a touch, to a goal I felt would be realistic.

I can't find the complete list of stuff I read in 2005. I will post it when I find it. My record keeping for 2006, however has definitely been better.

My rating system is simple:

1 = Don't waste your time
2 = Worth a read, but get it out the library
3 = Fantastic work of literature! READ THIS!
4 = Buy this book! ( if you are interested in this sort of thing)
5 = EVERYONE should read this. Buy it and buy a copy for your friends!

So... here we go:

1. The Buddha in Daily Life by Richard Causton - 4
The basic precepts of Nichiren Daishonin. Quite involved and really good. If this is your thing, buy it and read it more than once. Because the concepts are quite involved and deep you will definitely need to read it more than once. Probably page per page as you go.

2. The Cutting Room by Louise Walsh - 2
This is Walsh's first novel. Her style takes some getting used to and the story starts out fine, but there are too many twists and turns from the middle onwards. It is worth a read, but only if you get it out of the library.

3. The Biggest Secret by David Icke - 2
David Icke believes that green lizard aliens and the freemasons are behind every major conspiracy in the world. Interesting.

4. Working with Your Chakras by Ruth White - 4
If this is your bag, you'll be delighted at the insightful information that Ruth White provides. She gives chakra healing exercises and in-depth discussion on each individual chakra! Make this part of your personal libary.

5. Why Your Life Sucks (And What You Can Do About It) by Alan Cohen - 5
Even if your life doesn't suck, Cohen's down to earth and no nonsense insights will definitely help you to identify where you may be wasting your energy, and how you might remedy that. FANTASTIC.

6. Broken Music by Sting - 2
Sting's autobiography. This man was a schoolteacher? He mixes his tenses in a dizzying fashion, but I quite enjoyed reading this one despite that, even though the tenses thing drove me to distraction. If you're a fan of Sting give it a go. It's a fair attempt as autobiographies go. I doubt it was ghost written.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt it was ghost written as well. It sounds like someone who didn't know how to write, wrote that. But it was interesting.

    I will have to check out your #5, i have never heard of it. Well, when i actually find some time to read again. I miss reading. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red - No mention at all of THAT!!! Do tell more!

    Karen - ew, indeed.

    xmichra - I agree, it wasn't written well at all, but I still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued by the David Icke book. I may have to read it just for kicks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen - indeed. David Icke believes that the Green Lizard Aliens killed Princess Diana. And that the royal family IS the family of green lizard aliens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn! When I was doing my famous people I've met list way back, I forgot David Icke. When I was a kid, and before he became famous for being a bit of a loon.

    ReplyDelete