Monday, July 24, 2006

The End of an Era

My Doctor Martens' sandals are officially irretrievably broken. I've had those sandals for 6 years and in that time repaired the strap on three occasions, and that only in the last three years. They were the first pair of shoes I bought in the UK - at the Doc shop itself. The sandals were my favourite. Nothing like Doc Martens' Air Wair to make your feet feel good.


I love Docs in general. The very first thing I did with my very first pay cheque from a proper job was to go out and buy myself a pair of red Doc Martens' boots. I wore those boots until they practically fell off as well. I can honestly say that Docs have been the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned.

Having said that, though, I can't be a vegetarian and wear leather, now can I?

I stubbornly clung to my Docs' sandals and they are now literally hanging off my feet. The soles have come unstuck and the cushiony softness of the air wear evaporated some time ago.

Saying goodbye to them, as strange as this sounds, is difficult. We're talking my favourite shoes here. They've walked miles with me. My foot is imprinted on them. They've been on beaches, walked through cities, lounged at home. I am reluctant to go home this evening and consign them to the bin. It's like saying goodbye to old friends.

How silly is that? Being so damn attached to a pair of old stinky shoes?

6 comments:

  1. I totally understand this! In fairness, though, I have trouble throwing anything away. But fave shoes that are good quality... well, they've been everywhere with you, not only accompanying you but helping you out. A sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, it is a sad day. *sigh*. I know it sounds freakish, but I am gonna miss these sandals, man....

    ReplyDelete
  3. But know that your act of courage here is giving me the strength to do what I must do....toss out my Birkenstock sandals. Its been years as well and they are no longer supporting me properly, BUT, I keep saying, they still look ok....don't they? My daughter says No they don't. So, *sniff* off they muct go.
    Knowing that when a door is closed a window will open.
    (PS I have red Doc Marten boots too! A beauty find at a Thrift Store)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not silly at all, I always have some favorite pair of beat up shoes I miss when they have to go. Although none have actually lasted six years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I belive you leave your energy imprint in shoes as well, so, that would be a bit like throwing out a part of you.

    Just as difficult as cutting off long hair for some people.

    My one and so far only pair of Doc's were steel-toed 10-eyelet boots which lasted me eight years. But when they started leaking water through the soles, they had to go. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. *(asterisk): yah. you've got the nail on the head - not just fave, but GOOD quality.

    thehealingroom: I know your pain.

    Kat: I am surprised mine made it to 6 years!

    sparris: I agree with the energy thing. I reckon we leave our energy on a lot of things. I have a real problem with wearing second hand jewellery.

    ReplyDelete