Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Excuses, excuses, excuses....

I am very good at coming up with excuses. I am brilliant, sometimes.

I make excuses for not writing, not exercising, not eating healthily and even not living the life of my dreams.

Here are a few examples:

I can't exercise because I don't have the time/energy and I have sciatica

I can't write today because I am tired/uninspired/boring/a crap writer anyway/must blog/watch this show on TV

I am not studying because I need to blog/write/exercise (which I don't do)/clean/wash the dishes/do the washing

And on and on.

Well. Here's the thing and for me, it's a BIG thing.

I have decided to no longer accept excuses from myself.

And recently a few things have begun to happen. I have turned off my television and it's stayed off. I have managed to spend a good portion of time on my studies, and have time to spare for reading and relaxing. As a result, I feel... accomplished.

Now I tend to think about things before I action them. If I find myself engaging in behaviour that got me nowhere before, I do the opposite.

Interesting.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing how TV can consume time that could be used for more valuably. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you! I'm going to do that too, yeah. Tomorrow. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done indeed. Wish I could leave the TV off...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list of excuses why you can't exercise/write/study sounds like something I could have penned. Especially the bit about exercising. In the morning I could choose to spend 10 minutes on my exercise bike, or I could come upstairs and check my blog. Guess what I do 99 times out of 100. It has become a bad habit and it's got to stop. Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, Tanya. I love TV, of course, but it is the worst thing for letting time run away. And, let's be fair, most stuff that's on is rubbish. Far better to use it for DVDs rather than TV progs.

    ReplyDelete