Sunday, May 27, 2007

I've turned my hand to some poetry over on Tastes Like Llama. I last wrote loads of poetry when I was about 20. I am no poet and most of it is crap, but that's fine. At least I am under no delusions that it's going to make me rich and famous.

Yesterday was my birthday. I am 34 years old now. It's a birthday I greeted with mixed feelings and as it turned out I had a reasonably good day. My friend Julie had agreed to give me a lift to a Buddhist women's meeting yesterday and I was treated to an unexpected birthday surprise: Julie's carer answering the door in nothing but a skimpy towel.

The day went well and I had a good time. I got a soul card from my friend Simon in Nottingham, CK One Summer from Julie, a cute handbag from my now ex-mother-in-law and a card from Kate.

I've also decided to return to South Africa on 14 July. I went to a travel agent yesterday but their systems were down so I couldn't book my ticket, so I'll have to go next weekend. Clearly the Universe wants me to wait one more week before I book the ticket.

I am coming home soon. My Auntie Carol said once that when a relationship ends, it's like a death and you must mourn it like a death. She also said there comes a time when you realise you've spent enough time crying about it and now, I have no more tears. I've paid my dues to pain and enough is enough and I want that pain right out of my life. This video says everything you need to know about how I feel right now.

6 comments:

  1. I think your poetry's fab.
    It's short, succinct, and manages to convey so much in very few words.
    Have never managed to get my head around books-long poems. They're best when they're short and to the point. And they take lots more skill in my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and YAY 14 July!!!!

    YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday, Tanya.

    And damn! Donna Summer still looks foxy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a good Birthday Hon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe we missed your birthday. As Red said, happy belated birthday - I'm making a note for next year though...

    And I too thought your poetry was beautiful. Succinct, emotional, true. Please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy b-day, and hope you are doing well :)

    OH, and your poems are wicked good. Don't be so hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete