Friday, April 20, 2007

Life in the Rutland Countryside
Long overdue post, this.
I recently took a little walk around the village and snapped a few pictures for the viewing pleasure of you, my readers and friends.
Despite what the sign says, very few people drive carefully through the village. Something about country roads seems to bring out the maniac in many drivers.
There are quite a few ducks in the village. There's a little stream that runs through it, which encourages water fowl. The sign I took a picture of is not as entertaining as the one entering the village off the A1. It has the picture of the duck and a notice proclaiming "Wild Fowl".

Needless to say that the ducks wander quite casually across the road or up and down the lanes. There have been a few duck related tragedies due to this nonchalance, but luckily not too many.
My favourite village sign is the one indicating Viking Way, which is a public footpath. The name, for some reason, just tickles me.
I've gone for a walk up Viking Way several times. It's a lovely ramble. Viking Way is quite narrow at first, but leads up to some gorgeous open fields. I have always loved being close to nature, and living out here where there are some superb walks is a true blessing.

As you leave the village, you can see more of these open fields, which every year are planted with rape. These lovely little yellow flowers are gorgeous, and I always feel happy when they make their appearance in the spring. Problem is that these same flowers are responsible for setting off my hayfever and I spend spring and summer sniffling and
sneezing and looking like I've been punched in the face as a result.













5 comments:

  1. The footpath is adorable! I like the name too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little corner of the world looks beautiful. And a Viking walking path? Sigh...jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat - Yeah! It really tickles me!

    Karen - When are you visiting the UK? I'll take you for a walk along Viking Way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still not sure. The destination is up at the air at the moment. But when I do, Greetham is on my list of "must-sees" and margaritas with you is a "must-do".

    ReplyDelete