Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Above the Clouds, We Are All Buddhas...

My buddhist friend, Simon in Nottingham, very eloquently passed my own advice back to me the other day. Nothing like hearing your own words of wisdom, eh?

I once said to him, during a dark patch he was in, that he should remember that above the clouds, the sun still shines. Above the clouds, we are all Buddhas. And that's precisely what I needed to hear. (There is wisdom in this old girl somewhere, evidently!)

I have been pounding the pavement the past two days. I visited the Job Centre yesterday and today it was the turn of a couple of employment agencies.

In classic Buddhist fashion, I am cheerful, calm and filled with an immeasurable joy, which to most people would seem terribly out of place given the circumstances. It's by far easier to get caught in the negative downward spiral, but not particularly helpful. So I maintain my practice and it's working.

What a year so far! This has to be some truly remarkable journey that I am on. And I am so grateful that I have this opportunity right now. The way I see it is that the worst thing I could have imagined happening to me, already has. Seven years ago. Anything else by comparison is a piece of cake. Even losing my Dad and then being made redundant two months later. Anger and resentment impede the Universe from doing its work and a complete waste of energy.

There are some great advantages of being unemployed right now. My boss (who, by the way, has been excellent) has told me that instead of working my notice that I should take this time to look for a new job. I have spent my time so far doing just that.

I applied for a job that seemed to have me written all over it. Working as a trainer helping unemployed people get back into work. Snag is that it's for Bedford, the plus is that it's mostly work from home. I have crossed fingers, toes and eyes.

I have been given the tremendous gift of time, thanks to Boss Man's generosity and kindness. I have time to write my advanced creative writing course, time to search for freelance work. Time to write my novel and time to search for some kind of day job that will keep our kitties in the manner to which they have become accustomed.

Kate thinks I am dealing with this surprisingly well. I have experience in dealing with this, that's for sure. Perhaps I should pitch an article to some or other publication about what to do if you're made redundant? Why not cash in on that experience and have it pay?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, when you put it this way, You have been incredibly blessed.
    The universe is clearly taking care of you.
    :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed!

    And you will find that the calmer and happier you are, the better luck you will bring back on yourself - there's something about being angry, bitter or pessimistic that just makes the universe spit right back in your face...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are dealing with it well. But you know what? I think after the recent loss of a family member, people (rightly) think, "Fuck it, fuck the world -- this shit ain't nothin' in comparison to that." We all get down once in a while, but the important thing is to know it's only a phase and ride it out with a positive outlook. (Yes, I know it's easier said than done!) Kudos to you, T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing a Chumbawamba -- and good on you! I bet the kitties are happy to have you at home a bit more often...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healingroom: i have no doubt that every step I take forward, the Universe is taking several leaps towards me.

    Dori: Hear! Hear!

    *: Yeah. That's pretty much it.

    Red: The cats are a little bemused as to why they see so much of me... ungrateful buggers. And yeah: I get knocked down, but I get up again. No, you're never gonna keep me down.

    ReplyDelete