Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Once Upon A Time...

...there was a girl named Tanya who was reasonably laid back. It was a glorious time. Then an evil witch put a spell on all the HSBC banks in the land causing their branch numbers to vanish from phone books and the internet, replacing them with one single number, which rang through to the Call Centre of Hell. Tanya begged the demonic call centre woman to tell her the phone number of her local branch, but the demon refused, replying instead with, "We don't have the branch numbers in our office."

"Please," said Tanya, "I must speak with a Financial Advisor. Only she will know how to help me slay my Debt Dragon!"

"Very well, " said the demon, "I will put a call through to the Oakham branch and have them contact you."

HUH? They don't have the fucking number, yet they are phoning the branch on my behalf? What about my autonomy? I can't talk to my bank without 'mommy' telling me it's ok? Fuck this.

Bullshit.

And as long as we're on the subject of Bullshit...

I recently spoke to a woman who was slagging off people from a different race group to hers, calling them derogatory names and when I challenged her on her racism, she insisted she wasn't racist at all. BULLSHIT!

2 comments:

  1. Not to defend the "big bank" employee you dealt with but chances are she only had "speed dial" buttons to connect callers to various branches/departments etc and likely didn't have the individual numbers (such is the case with the receptionist at my office as well). However, remember when you could whip open the phone book and all these wondrous numbers used to pop out at you? You could call ANYONE you wanted! Or better yet, you could actually GO to the bank and there would be people there to help you? Not anymore. Stupid big business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen: I hear you. However, there was a time when you actually got the information you needed from an information line. It wasn't like they decided whether or not they would like to help you. It's pissed me off. And my usual laid back self is already a bit stressed. This annoys me.

    ReplyDelete