Monday, February 26, 2007

An Interesting Thought...

There are people who view tattoos as a form of mutilation. They ask why would anyone want to do that to their bodies? Why spend so much money on something that has no practical use, changes how someone's body looks and is a complete frivolity?

Why doesn't anyone say the same thing to those who turn to cosmetic surgery? It's also a form of body modification. It's often MORE expensive than tattoos or piercings.

I don't judge someone with a nose job. Why should anyone judge another person with tattoos? Why does that make someone a certain 'type'?

One of my cousins commented on my tattoo while I was in SA. I told her about my plans for more tattoos - a HALF SLEEVE of tattoos. "Well, you would," she said, "That's your lifestyle."

Urm. I should point out that she has one tattoo of her own. Small of the back. Only visible when she chooses it to be. So what if my tattoo is visible? And what the hell does she mean it's my lifestyle? Anyone meeting me for the first time would not think I have tattoos. I am a bit of a geek.

Well.... if it makes me a wild and wanton woman, bring it on. Fuck conformity. Fuck society's idea of what a woman should be. Long live choice! Life is too short for bullshit.

6 comments:

  1. Amen sister. If people don't like it, they don't have to look at it. And what does your cousin mean by "that's your lifestyle"? And I've gotten the body mutilation argument myself by friends, family and coworkers. And yet all of these people had piercings and some had had plastic surgery. Hypocrites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that society places a high value on being a "wild and wanton woman"............we get so many mixed messages.
    I am a strong supportor of your statement, "Long live choice"! and if you friend meant that "your lifestyle" was one of personal freedom than so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lifestyle? pffft! Whatever. I hate it when people act like that over tattoos or peircings.

    And I've seen people who look freakier with plastic surgery than the goths I see all peirced up.


    Sorry about the last comment, wasn't paying attention. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I should point out that she has one tattoo of her own. Small of the back". That kind of tattoo is called a "tramp stamp"...is that her lifestyle? I HATE people making judgments...who the hell do they think they are??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm starting on my second full sleeve next Tuesday. I guess that's my lifestyle. People are funny! You know the old adage:

    "The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care if you have a tattoo."

    There is another version that ends: "... is that tattooed people are way cooler and can kick your ass."

    I like them both.

    ReplyDelete