Saturday, November 11, 2006


Review: Sin City

I recently had the good sense to put Sin City onto my DVD viewing list.

All I knew about the film before I saw it was that it was based on a graphic novel, which I had never read, and used some interesting filming techniques. And, of course, it had Jessica Alba in it.

I was pretty much blown away by the film and I am a freshly converted fan.

The film views like a comic book in motion, with several separate stories woven together. As you know, I am no fan of Bruce Willis, but he was OK in this. Elijah Wood was a surprise. He managed to convey a lot in a non speaking role. Kudos.

Recommended viewing purely for the fact that it is a visual masterpiece.

4 comments:

  1. Agreed! I got it for Christmas last year, having requested it without seeing it. But I like Rodriguez's films anyway, and personally I like Bruce too. Great movie. One of those rare times when I can say I'm actually looking forward to the sequel (which, due to the fact that it's a series of interwoven shorts, is less a sequel and more another set of short stories).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it yet but have heard great things about it. I'm also looking forward to seeing another movie based on one of Frank Miller's graphic novels...300.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this never really entered my mind to watch.. maybe i will give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually hate this kind of films, but I thought Sin City was pretty good, actually. And they even managed to make Mickey Rourke look half decent.

    But I just couldn't buy into why Jessica Alba would be in love with B. Willis. I know he saved her life or whatever (I have forgotten why she thinks she owes him), but a) he ugly; b) he old; c) he can't act to save his life.

    Can we have some young hot guys in these films, please! And I don't mean Clive Owen...

    ReplyDelete