Thursday, June 01, 2006


No one actually tells you that the whole biological clock ticking thing is a physical experience.

Consider the biology of a woman: she is swimming in a variable cocktail of hormones, which influence not only her body, but her emotions. This is witnessed in the popular phenomena known as PMS and pregnancy.

Now I find myself immersed in the chemical soup known as Broodiness or Oh-My-God-I-Am-Never-Going-To-Have-a-Baby. Don't laugh - this is isn't funny and it certainly isn't comfortable. I see ads for baby products on TV and I burst into tears. I see people with children and I wonder what mine would look like. I have even been dreaming of babies and being pregnant. A lot. (And before you give me the analysis, yes I know that dreaming of being pregnant or having a baby symbolises new projects and creativity... I just don't think that applies to this spate of baby dreams because of this hormonal nightmare that has soaked my brain).

I remind myself that this is my body's language. This is how it reminds me that I am now in my 30s and I must reproduce, dammit! And that I must do it quick because it's all down hill for the egg supply after 35. And that's 2 years away.

Don't worry, I am not going to be hot-footing it to the nearest IVF clinic nor will I be trying to solicit sperm from my male friends. I am coming to terms with the fact that there will be no children in my future. This, I would imagine, is the emotional equivelent to the menopausal hot flush. It's completely normal and easily explained, but a little worrisome and uncomfortable.

This too shall pass.

4 comments:

  1. Borrow someone's baby for a few days. That'll cure you of the urge right quick. ;)

    Nah, I'm kidding. Well, not really. Babies can be a huge pain-in-the-ass, but, y'know, they're worth it and stuff. Still, nothing will kill your urge to breed quicker than being woken up at 2AM by a squealing infant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never say Never Tanya.

    You know life can sometimes take us on journeys that we never expect to go on

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sibri - life may just take that turn for you... don't totally count it out.

    And don't worry about the whole age thing - women at my work are having their first kids at 38 or 39 and it's all fine!

    ReplyDelete