Friday, June 16, 2006

Random....

First of all, I am touched that Teri dedicated an article to me on her blog. It's an honour. Thanks Teri, your wisdom and insight have again worked their magic.

Kate had her eye operation yesterday, hence the radio silence. It all went really well and she's feeling fine. Apart from the semi-black eye she has, she displays no signs of having been in hospital at all. I was surprised that there were no bandages and that the cut they made above her eyelid resembled nothing more than a cat scratch. And they let me take her home last night as well, which made both of us happy.

Despite nine or more hours' sleep I feel drained. I have battled insomnia (and lost) over the past two weeks and slept soundly last night all the way through, only to be plagued by dreams in which either someone was angry with me or I was angry with someone else. One dream featured snails spraypainted gold and miniature hippos the size of small kittens. Most bizarre.

Not even my usual super charged coffee has managed to drag my backside up from tiredness.

I feel exhausted and ragged around the edges, but surprisingly, I am not grumpy. I could do with a soak in the bath (bubbles optional) and possibly a really lovely glass of wine, but that would be breaking my 'no alcohol' rule.

The Soweto Riots took place today, 30 years ago. It's unimaginable now, to think that this incident happened so recently and that it was most likely the event that kickstarted the changes in South Africa. It would have been incredibly sad if 30 years on, South Africa had not moved forward and Apartheid still existed.In fact, South Africa is so far past Apartheid (which only really ended about 15 years ago) that it is open to any minority group being given the rights it deserves. This was clearly shown when same sex marriage was made legal (MARRIAGE! Not civil partnerships!). So, the country has moved from being extremely narrow minded to extremely enlightened in a few very short years. To make up for years of discrimination, you think?

Enough philosophy. Head hurts. Tired. Later….

3 comments:

  1. Well, a glass of wine in a hot tub is exactly what you need. But just the bath may do the trick too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there chica...thanks for listening!

    Ciao bella

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah

    hi there tanya
    meant to email you sooner but so much shit happened. and it was just too depressing to write.
    i'm back on track now.


    i wish singapore(SGI or not) would move faster...
    *sigh*

    still enjoy reading ur posts!

    ReplyDelete