Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I am HOME.

For about 5 years now I have wanted to make a final trip back to good ole Jozi. Back to my family. Now here I am. And I must confess it does feel a little weird. I feel like a foreigner in my own country.

Arrived on time on Sunday morning, having slept for just one hour on an 11 hour flight. I was completely exhausted. I spent most of yesterday tidying and getting my room organised. La Camera della Lesbica. Indeed. (Karen will be most pleased to hear that I did this while dancing around to Tom Jones). I phoned the Johannesburg Buddhists and I am off to my first meeting on Thursday night.

It will take me a while to adjust. I am doing some temp work, helping my sister out at her canteen until the end of the week. Pocket money is always welcome. Next week I take care of the admin stuff with a trip to the SA passport office, the bank and the Italian Consulate.

What thrills me the most is that I am here for the birth of my friend Dori's first baby. Over the years I have missed out on so many important occasions, and now this is the first event I will be here for to lend support and to celebrate. In person!

I miss Sharon and the magical time we spent together.

I miss my cats, but now I have some new ones. My sister has 5 cats so it's not so bad. Fang, the kitten, made a point of sleeping on my head, my neck and my face last night. I woke up gasping for breath to find that I had a kitten balanced across my chin.

It's all new and a little overwhelming, but I am looking forward to this new life that lays ahead. And who knows? Perhaps I can convince Sharon to visit SA along with all my other UK and US friends.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you arrived safe and sound. Sure it will be a bit strange and the lack of the familiar around you will be a bit daunting but you've got family and friends (good luck to Dori!!!) around you to help make it easier. Not to mention a new kitten who seems to have adopted you. And making a call to the local Buddhist society (I hope that's the correct term) one of your first actions will help you ease into the transition and hopefully some new friends.

    And YAY! Tom Jones! He makes everything ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay you!! you are home! and now you can start things over agin :)

    be patient, i am sure you will get the hang of things just fine :) And dancing to tom jones is always a plus :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Honey

    So pleased to hear you arrived safe and sound!

    Enjoy all of your new experiences and strive to be happy ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like everything is falling into place nicely.
    You have great courage.
    And as for your friends visiting....what about your Canadian friends?
    :>(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen: Yes, Tom Jones does make it all ok!

    XMichra: starting over. yes. scary and exciting

    Si: THANKS!!!

    Healingroom: Yes - and Canadian friends are welcome too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought I'd commented here... Anyway, helllooooo!

    ReplyDelete