Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Why I Have Left the SGI
(and started my own religion)

The SGI (Soka Gakkai International) is the lay organization for the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonen. I started practicing this Buddhism in 2004 and received my Gohonzon (a holy scroll that represents your life) in 2005.

Initially, I believed I had found where I belonged, but gradually, and especially since coming to SA and joining SGI SA, I realised that the organisation ain't really that organised. I began to grow very disillusioned with the organization altogether, and several events culminated and allowed me to make the decision to break ties completely.

I am not faulting the practice of Buddhism – Nichiren Daishonen’s or anyone else’s. It’s not the practice of Buddhism I have left behind: it’s the SGI.

In points, and no particular order, here are my reasons:

For a practice that is supposed to be about tolerance, I have seen a great deal of judgement delivered. One of the Buddhists in SGI-SA is also a Sangoma (witch doctor). He was brave enough to get up and tell everyone how chanting had enhanced his work as a Sangoma. Later, two leaders of the SGI were whispering about how taken aback they were about this guy being so open. According to them, he should not have even mentioned it. I was asked to write an article about this guy for the fledgling Buddhist magazine and was instructed by one of the same leaders, quite strictly, not to mention the “Sangoma thing”. This same person, when I mentioned I was a healer, asked if I had permission (!!!!) from the SGI to do that, as she knew about a woman in the UK who worked with crystals who had to get permission from SGI-UK to do so. Hmm. The organization likes to talk about “absolute freedom”, but clearly it doesn’t live it. I see auras, communicate with the dead, channel paintings and do Reiki healing. I could see myself heading the same way as the Buddhist-Sangoma.

I am openly gay and while I didn’t encounter any homophobia with the UK groups, I have in South Africa. I was waiting in line for a cup of tea at the end of a meeting, chatting to one of the ladies behind me. She was bemoaning the fact that she just couldn’t find the right man. I joked that perhaps she should be looking for the right woman. We both cracked up and laughed about this. The man in front of us, also a leader in the SGI, turned around and with venom spat out: “You people with your agendas. You come in and take our women from us. What’s the matter with you? Why can’t you just leave our women alone? Why do you always have to push your agenda in everyone’s faces?” He looked so angry, I was certain he would have hit me, if he had the chance. His tirade went on, saying pretty much the same thing in several different ways. Not cool. Another member in Singapore has told me that because she was gay, she was being ostracized by her family – all of whom are practicing Nichiren Buddhists with the SGI.

The SGI discourages investigation into other schools of Buddhism. Nichiren Buddhism is promoted as the ONLY path. So is Christianity.I like to think for myself and explore. If people are telling me not to look into other schools of Buddhism, I want to know why, and telling me that “those schools are wrong” isn’t a good enough reason. The SGI also discourages silent meditation. Again, the ONLY path is to chant. Stuff that – I have gained a lot of insight from silent meditation as well as chanting.

The SGI is infatuated with its lay leader, Daisaku Ikeda. Maybe I just didn’t get the lesson of mentor/disciple, but from working with Demartini’s Quantum Collapse Process, I know that I am no greater or lesser than another person. Yes, he has written great works and is a great leader, however, I am not going to view him as some kind of Buddhist Jesus. Nichiren’s Buddhism tells us we are ALL Buddhas. We all have Buddhahood. Then this man is no more enlightened than anyone else – we are both Buddhas.

Talking about everyone being Buddhas… We are told we are all Buddhas, but when we begin to think for ourselves and move away from the SGI, investigate other faiths and practices or meditate silently, you are labeled arrogant and ignorant.

I engaged in SGI activities. When my schedule no longer permitted me to be as involved, I was given a series of phone calls and emails, bordering on guilt trips in order to get me to come back. The organization didn’t like NO as an answer. Even after leaving, I have been pursued with a cult-like enthusiasm to return.

Finally, I don’t need to have permission to do what I do, nor is it necessary to apologise for who I am. No one has the right to tell me how my spiritual life should be structured or what I must believe.

So I have started my own religion. I call it Hectic Eclectic and I embrace all things and nothing. In fact, I do a lot of embracing. I’ve named myself the Huru Guru and I am basking in my own glory.

I am much happier calling my own shots.

7 comments:

  1. Religion is a personal thing. Organised religion is not the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hectic Eclectic - Very appropriate!

    You are a visionary, darling. It's good to see you have posted again. I've missed you 'round the Blogosphere.

    We are the the new Renaissance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya,

    I was very interested to read your comments. I started out in the SGI as a very confused, young Lesbian in 1970, and, at the time, it was called, "NSA" and was very pure about becoming great persons and helping others to do the same. I flourished at the time and went through a lot of hard times, went to Japan to study, saw the DG 7 times in one year, etc.

    But, as time wore on in the 90s, the impetus shifted, more and more, and, finally, last month, the org canned me as a Chapter leader for some of the same thoughts you have expressed. I still have many friends there and such, but starting in 2000, I ran into Christ. What is a Buddhist grrrl to do? Investigate, if she honest!! So, I have studied the truths in that, in a liberal sort of way, and now find myself practicing gongyo and chanting, as ever to my Gohonzon, whom I love, but also studying the Vedanta, if you know of it.

    I am also a healer. I can read the Karmic Record, when it is my permission to do so, and treat people from that venue. We have had great fortune with that, something the SGI has NO idea about and never will.

    Write me, if you like. I appreciate your flair.

    Armchair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Tanya Darling,

    I love what you have written here.
    Very articulate.
    I am totally on board with you....and this applies to ANY organized anything.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hectic eclectic.. nice =D

    Hope that the turning with the SGI hasn't brought too much neagtivity into your life, you seem to be attracting rather positive influences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Xmichra - it did rock the boat a little, but because I am in a good space, it didn't tip me into the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tanya,
    Great to meet you ..enjoyed reading your blog & am a new member- Hectic Eclectic - Fun!
    ; ) Cheers, and all wonderful things to you in the new year! Robin

    ReplyDelete